Monday, November 9, 2009

let the taper madness begin!!!

Ok. I'm now officially in my taper.
In some sense, I'm over a week into the taper. I went with a 3-week marathon taper; the first week is pretty mild, though, more like a light week during the training. I had had some pretty big weeks – a few over 50, and one that even peaked over 60. Last week was down to 40, so that's still a whole lot of running. And it included a 15 mile run this weekend.
That should be enough to keep me sane, right?
Maybe. Maybe not.
On the one hand, I don't remember yelling at anyone, picking any fights, or generally being disagreeable to the point where strangers would notice.
On the other hand, I did drag Helen all the way to the Bryn Mawr Running Company, because I was convinced that I didn't have the right kind of shoes for the race.
And that was in a week that still had a fair amount of running.
This week will be far less running, more like 30 miles. I don't know why that seems so light, lots of weeks this summer were like that. But it does seem light. No more running home from class, no more running to class from home. No more 20 milers, no more yasso-800s, no more 2-mile repeats at the track. Whaddameyegonnado?
And all the symptoms are there. I feel sluggish. I feel slow. I'm convinced that I blew my training. That I peaked too early. That I'm just not gonna be ready. I even felt a little under the weather the other day. Luckily that passed.
But with close to 2 weeks still to go, I just don't know. I'm hoping that my taper tantrums are mild. That I don't burn any bridges. But I just don't know.

No comments: