Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Injury Update -- it's just an -itis

So, I took that week off from running, and whatdya know, the problems on my right foot and thigh lessened. But they're still there. So, I went back to running and saw a different doctor last Monday. This doctor is an ortho guy in a sports medicine practice that is well-regarded, and my thought was that he'd understand that runners need to run.

After a lot of pressing and x-raying, the doc and his resident determined that I have peroneal tendonitis which is causing the pain on the foot. The tendonitis is in turn caused by ankle sprains that weren't properly healed. The clicking quads are just clicking quads that have been clicking less and less. It was probably a strain. Actually, as I'm writing this post, my quads now have the full range of motion. So, it's no big deal anymore.

So, I am to see a physical therapist and do ankle rehab and quad strenthening exercises for six weeks. In the mean time, I can run as long as the foot doesn't get worse. (I did 15 on Saturday and the only thing that's sore afterwards was my back.) So, I am going to take it easy for a little bit and run just to run. Boston is off the calendar for now, and it's okay.

No comments: