Monday, December 17, 2007

Consumerism 2, Noah 0


I now own another pair of running shoes.

My new, new road running shoes, I guess – a pair of Asics Gel Nimbus, or Nimbusses/Nimbi/what have you.

I can honestly say that I was, kind of, in the market for another pair of running shoes. I've actually come to really like the Mizunos I've been wearing. They've grown on me. But they don't do so well in certain situations. The heel section has an odd horseshoe shape, hollow in the middle. I assume that's to save weight, but the purpose is defeated when a pebble gets wedged into the empty space. That doesn’t happen every time, but I wouldn't call it rare. That is, it's rare on the road, but not on Forbidden Drive, which is where I do a lot of my running anyway.

Oh, and running in snow, forget it, it fills up and that changes my foot strike. Not good.

So I wanted to get a pair that I could wear in those situations. Helen and I were also kind of curious about the 'gait analysis' at JackRabbit Sports in Manhattan. Which, I have to say, is pretty cool. Basically, you run on a treadmill while they videotape your feet. This was a much more advanced method than at Philadelphia Runner, where I rolled up my pants and walked away from the salesperson. But, the same result: I just need normal shoes. No motion control/stability/etc.

I've gone running in the new shoes twice so far. Result: I don't like them as much as I currently like my Mizunos. I do like them more than I liked the Mizunos after two runs.

1 comment:

Helen said...

Such handsome running shoes in BHS colors!