Monday, September 17, 2007

Should Helen do the Philly Marathon?

For the past week, I've been toying with the idea of joining the Philadelphia Marathon. Since the race is just two months away, I am decidedly late in starting to train for it. It also doesn't seem fair to wing it, given that the race costs $115 and all. If I had thought of the marathon earlier, say in July, I would've decided "yes" for sure.

Yesterday, I made my long run a marathon feasibility study -- I need to figure out if I could run 15 miles comfortably. I felt like that's the minimum level of run fitness I need now if I were to get started this late. So, I tried to recruit Noah and Leah for a portion of the run, and then headed out.

It was 65 degrees and sunny, just ideal conditions for this feasibility study. As it turns out, it's also a good day for wandering in the trails. Four miles into the run, I was still not feeling it, and I didn't have the patience to wait for things to click. So I cut across Blue Bell Park into the Wissahickon, and decided to do a longer trail run instead.

I ran at a relaxed effort along the Roxborough side of the creek until Summit/Rex Ave, switched to the lower trail on the Chestnut Hill side, and ran up the Lavendar trail towards home. When I got to our front steps, both my legs and my brain had shut down, a good sign that I've had enough. I had been out there for two hours.

I'm happy that I had an enjoyable long run in the trails, but I also wish I had followed through with the 15-miler. Maybe this is the way I feel about the marathon as well -- I want to finish it and re-BQ but I'm not so hot about running it.

No comments: