Monday, November 26, 2007

Running in Albuquerque

Earlier this month I spent a few days in Albuquerque for a conference there. Looked like a great place for biking, but I left my bike at home (didn't really consider it, really – no time, no desire to deal with taking the bike on the plane, etc.) I did do quite a bit of running there, though. I think I ran three of the four days I was there, including upon my arrival. (Or maybe it was three out of four, I don't remember). It helped that I kept waking up at 5 in the morning!

All but one of the runs involved running over to the UNM golf course, doing a lap, then heading back. Around five miles total. Apparently, the golf course is a staple in the local running scene. It's nice – it's soft, which is important to me. But it wasn't fantastic. I'm told that a lot of really good runners run there, which I can believe.

Here's the gmap –


I included the elevation just to show that the whole place is really high! I was surprised I could run there at all!

One of the runs, though, was a much more interesting adventure. Before leaving, I'd sent a request to Slowtwitch for info, and among the responses, one user – Ironlobo – offered to take me on a run for in the mountains. I'm pretty sure that, had the internet been around when I was a kid, my mother would have warned me against letting strangers from the internet lead me on runs in the mountains, but lacking that specific warning, I decided to take him up on the offer.

And I'm glad I did! The run was fantastic. It started still higher. I'm including a gmap here, but it's only got the loosest attachment to what we actually ran. We parked at the start/end spot, true. We turned right, then did a counter-clockwise loop. And we ran for around an hour, which should be at least 7 miles. But I really couldn't match what I remembered doing with the trail lines I saw on the satellite photos. And while this one did throw me for a loop with the altitude, I'm also pretty sure that we didn't get as high as the elevation in this map indicate. The starting point, though – yup, 5900 feet.

The photos below are from the second part of the run. I think we ran somewhere around 55 minutes, so we decided to round it out. I grabbed the disposable camera and we headed out. The photos are, for the most part, between the parking spot and high point that just a bit ENE of there. A few are from the summit. (You can see that point if you click on the gmap and zoom in a bunch, but it also shows up in picture 3).

This is the start of the run, right by where we parked:

This is what the terrain looked like at the start:

The peak here is where we went at the end of the run; that's Adam, aka Ironlobo, on the side.

The next one is me running. I can't decide which is a better caption -"Like a Photo from Outdoor Magazine" or: "Helen's Right: These Shorts Really Are Short."

Adam, AKA Ironlobo

The next two are views from the peak you can see earlier

If you look closely, you can see where we parked


No comments: