Saturday, September 22, 2007

It's always sunny in Philadelphia

Not! I was all set for the 15 miler this morning - checked the weather, stashed food in my pockets, wrote down people's phone numbers, grabbed the coins and keys, AND recruited Leah to run the last miles with me. Then, five minutes before I was to leave the house, it started pouring. Just my luck.

I waited for the rain to ease up and then called Leah to let her know that I will be late. The plan was for me to run down to the Art Museum (about 10 miles) by myself and then run 5 more on the drives with her, and then take the train home. The run pretty much went according to plan. I held back at the beginning and got to the Art Museum in 1:18. And after some stretching and rehydrating, Leah joined up with me and we ran to the 2.5 mark on Kelly Drive and back. On the way out, I started feeling a little dizzy and my legs started to hurt. If I were running alone, it probably would've been very difficult and I might've stopped. But with Leah there, I just tried to look ahead and occupy my mind with conversation. (Thank you, Leah, if you're reading this!) I felt sore and tight in the end, but finished nonetheless.

Including the shuffle back to the train station, I did 16+ miles today. I fell asleep hard during the ride home, and by the time I got off the train, I didn't feel so bad. I guess if I wanted to do Philly in November, I can.

1 comment:

Teacher Activist said...

I should be thanking you for listening to my drama and for pushing me to run faster than I do alone, so muchas gracias! I'm glad I didn't drive you home as it seems you wouldn't have been much for conversation:-) I think you can do the marathon, YOU CAN DO IT!!!!! I'll come out and be your cheerleader! I'll live vicariously through you!