Monday, April 30, 2007

The Countdown Race Taper

This week, I'm going to be antsy and hungry. I'm tapering for the Broad Street Run and running less. Even though tapering is no fun, it apparently works. When I tried a 3-week taper for the Ocean Drive Marathon in March, I felt very fresh at the starting line and got a PR in the race. My taper for Broad Street will be similar to the last week of the marathon taper:

Mon - 6 miles
Tue - 5
Wed- 4
Thu - 3
Fri - 2
Sun - race

Plus I'm observing these rules this week:
1. No hard hill running
2. No running faster than race pace
3. Get in some AM runs
4. Sleep well
5. No alcohol drinking
6. Eat accordingly

The 6-5-4-3-2-1 taper lets me put off my antsyness until later in the week. In other words, as I'm counting down, energy and anticipation will build and build until boom! Sunday, race day, I will let it all out of my system on Broad Street.

2 comments:

Betty said...

i like the layout and the colors....as well as the two pictures at the top. good job!


ok, so that wasn't a running related comment, but i think my opinion on this matter is very important! :)

Helen said...

oh yea, it's very important. feel free to comment on this blog.