Friday, May 29, 2009

The Most Pizza-Looking Pizza Yet



We've gotten pretty into making pizza lately.
I don't know how many times this is now – 3? 4? But they've all been yummy.

There are two kinds I've been making: one is more traditional, with the dough, mozarella, tomato sauce, some veggies – mushrooms or onions – some chorizo, and some walnuts. The walnuts go great. The other had pear, pine nuts, and potatoes. Once it also had basil.

I should make the tomato sauce from scratch, but I'm too lazy – and really, you don't use that much in a pizza. It's mostly bread.

And the bread I make from scratch, basically, kinda-sorta. I start with the basics: flour, water, yeast, salt, olive oil. I use the recipe from smitten kitchen (great recipe, great blog). But then I cheat a bit, I guess – I put it all in a bread maker, press the "pizza dough" setting, and then go away for an hour. So, yeah, I'm not kneading the dough myself. But once the dough comes out of the bread maker, that's where my troubles begin.
I've liked all the pizzas, but they've had some very, very odd shapes.

On that level, today's was kind of a breakthrough. No, it wasn't round. It's vaguely rectangular. But: it's got a kind of regular shape to it. It looks like maybe it's got the shape I was going for. And you couldn't say that about any of the earlier pizzas.



Oddly enough, it wasn't my favorite pizza, in terms of taste. It was good, but it lacked something that the other ones had. Maybe it was some sort of beginner's luck, that's now run out. Or maybe it's just because we're out of pepper.

No comments: